Location: Los Gatos, CA in a hybrid model (preferred) or remote based in the US aligned to Pacific Standard Time hours.
Strong Recommendation: Please submit a portfolio in your application (with the password)
With over 247 million members in over 190 countries, Netflix is the world's leading entertainment service offering great Series, Movies, and Games that push the boundaries of storytelling and delight members around the world. Netflix is powered by a work culture that focuses on high performance and continuous improvement.
About XD Discovery
This role is on the Experience Design (XD) Discovery team. The XD Discovery team is responsible for the core member experience worldwide, creating personalized entertainment experiences that focus on connecting people with stories they’ll love. The team designs the end-to-end member experience from the moment someone joins Netflix. Our team’s focus is to create engaging user experiences to entertain our global members by making it easier to discover and choose content that’s right for them. This role supports the Member Experience and Personalization product teams, which strive to make finding the right title on Netflix intuitive and compelling with relevant recommendations tailored to members’ needs. Specifically, this role focuses on emerging and experimental consumer-facing Search and AI experiences powered by machine learning to maximize member satisfaction.
This role will bring the transformative potential of AI to delight members in our mission to entertain the world. This is an opportunity to lead innovative product design with a demonstrable impact on a global scale. Using your full range of interaction, visual, and product-thinking skills, you’ll lead and own product features. You balance a passion for AI and creating highly functional and emotionally resonant experiences with a strong desire to understand user behavior and business success. You’re comfortable switching between vision-level, defining UX frameworks, and hands-on pixel-level work. You’ll partner with cross-functional teams who are charged with revolutionizing how entertainment is consumed and how storytelling is showcased by delivering engaging, inclusive experiences to members.
You’ll thoughtfully question the status quo and look closely at how we can push the user experience further with emerging technologies. You thrive in uncharted territories where design hasn’t historically found itself or where the rules and engagements aren’t already established. How do the user experience, underlying logic, recommendation systems, and tooling all fit together? You’ll define strategies and design solutions that will bring this vision to life, then work with cross-functional partners to execute against it.
What You’ll Do
• Design and build new AI experiences for Netflix product features. Identify and define product opportunities and create elegantly simple solutions to complex problems.
• Drive a human-centered design process for defining and executing features from concept to launch.
• Clearly communicate design rationale and iterations to partners and stakeholders.
• Articulate a vision and contribute to strategic decisions around the future direction of what it means to design AI-powered member experiences.
• Collaborate with a cross-functional team spanning consumer research, data science, product management, and engineering to test, iterate and launch features that advance our mission to connect members with the best Series, Films and Games.
• Learn and explore the fast-evolving technical landscape to solve member problems.
• Provide systems thinking for large-scale design systems, both strategically and tactically.
• Employ storytelling to present a vision to create a shared understanding of the UX strategy with the broader team.
• Apply big-picture thinking to break down ambiguous opportunities into an actionable roadmap.
• Champion our members and a global-first mindset.
• Give and solicit feedback in order to continually raise the bar for quality and craft.
• Embrace our culture of experimentation and A/B testing.
• 10+ years of experience designing user experiences for consumer-facing products across mobile, web and/or TV. Discovery or search-related experiences are a plus.
• Experience designing and shipping AI or conversational products.
• An understanding of the intersection of User Experience and AI.
• Excel in interaction design, visual design, and prototyping skills for defining how an experience should function and look based on understanding people's needs.
• Experience showcasing an end-to-end design process across multiple projects, that include interaction and visual design artifacts, multiple iterations, and high-fidelity prototypes.
• Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and articulate a vision.
• Track record of designing and shipping products and leading projects to successful outcomes for global users and the business.
• Ability to navigate ambiguity, and drive clarity that brings the user, technology, and business together.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to articulate the rationale behind your design decisions.
• Experience presenting work to a broader product team and leaders, clearly and succinctly articulating goals and concepts.
• Experience connecting the dots across the organization with other related initiatives across the company while driving collaboration.
• An insatiable curiosity for user experiences powered by AI, machine learning, algorithms, and recommendation systems.