About the role
We are looking for a Senior UX Designer to help craft the future of colleague experience for employees across Tesco. Our passionate and collaborative team is comprised of UX, UI, and research specialists, focused on crafting relevant and inclusive products and services to improve the way our colleagues work across the organisation. This work will have a positive and tangible impact on thousands of employees.
You will champion our colleague needs; discover their underlying challenges and work with technology to build and maintain a high-quality and consistent user experience across your domain. You will collaborate with product managers and business partners to influence product development and the wider colleague experience beyond individual touchpoints.
You will have a genuine appetite for sophisticated information, and a passion and energy for design and visual communication of your ideas. Insights and data (quantitative and qualitative) are what drive our team, and you will use it to support your decisions. As our ideal candidate, you are passionate about UX, love to understand our people and are excited to improve the lives of our in-store colleagues and support their evolving needs.
You will be responsible for
- You’ll own large and small projects from start to finish, redefining complicated experiences into simple and intuitive solutions
- Taking ownership of all end-to-end UX process activities including discovery, running design sprints, sketching, wire-framing, low-fidelity prototyping, and service/customer mapping.
- Champion human centred design inside and outside of your team.
- Working within and across agile squads to design, develop and improve the customer experience across our digital products.
- Working alongside UX researchers to help your team develop empathy for our customers, including those with a disability, and advocate for their needs.
- Running light weight research such as validating designs via A/B testing, unmoderated, usability testing, etc.
- Use quantitative data and partner with the analytics team to help inform your work.
- Work closely with multidisciplinary teams, engaging and finding new opportunities for improvements.
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You will work closely with UI designers, researchers, engineers, product managers, data analysts, and business stakeholders to explore, build and deliver designs.
- Facilitate partner (business and user) workshops, run appropriate conceptualisation and participatory design sessions
- Promote inclusive design practices and deliver accessible designs
- Deliver valuable, high-quality, and consistent work without sacrificing speed by using our Digital Design System and its standardised foundations, components, and patterns.
- With support from UI designers in the team, be happy using Figma to create UI designs using the Digital Design System, build prototypes and test functionality.
- Collaborate with the design system team to help evolve the design system based on user needs
- You will help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project to build the best products.
- Provide feedback to other designers to help strengthen your team and Tesco as a whole. You will help your teammates build context, strong decision-making skills, and empathy for our customers.
- Opportunity to line manage other designers and help with their learning and development
- Work with the Design Manager to cultivate a positive, supportive, and inclusive team culture.
You will need
- A strong, well-curated portfolio demonstrating your expertise across web, responsive and native
- Prior involvement in high-profile design projects ideally in an enterprise environment
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design, accessibility)
- A good understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, journey mapping, wire-framing, prototyping, and user testing to achieve human-centred design solutions
- Proficiency in interaction design for web (desktop and mobile) and native applications
- Experience of designing with accessibility in mind and meeting WCAG 2.1 level AA.
- Experience collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product and engineering
- Self-motivated and organised with good time management skills.
- Strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and subject areas within the organisation.
- Ability to coach, mentor and set standards for ways of working for more junior team members
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Miro, etc.
- A working knowledge of: Jira, Confluence, Adobe Creative Suite
- Previous experience in the retail sector is an advantage.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus Bank holidays)
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- 24/7 virtual GP service, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for you and your family, free access to a range of experts to support your mental wellbeing
- Great colleague deals and discounts, saving you money on everyday purchases, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Access to our colleague networks providing a space for colleagues to come together from a range of backgrounds. For more information about our colleague networks please click here
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
Click Here to read more about the benefits we have available for our colleagues